Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Discipline - My Path 2017

As we all do at the beginning of a new year, I have been reflecting. We set new hopes, new aspirations on how we can improve and grow personally and professionally. 

Recently our superintendent, Dr. John Marschhausen shared an article with our admin team. It was helpful to me as I was attempting to narrow my focus on how I can improve in all aspects of my life in 2017. Hopefully it will be helpful to you as well. It references 13 things to "give up" to be successful. All resonated with me at some level, but the ones that stood out for me are #1, #10, #11, and #12.
https://medium.com/personal-growth/13-things-you-need-to-give-up-if-you-want-to-be-successful-44b5b9b06a26#.dtv8bw3sj

The next reflection is my #oneword for 2017. I have done this the past 3 years as I know many of you do also. The #oneword concept by Jon Gordon http://getoneword.com/ is to essentially pick one word that will represent your focus for the upcoming year. 


My #oneword for 2017 is Discipline. The next thing that Dr. John shared with our team was his #oneword and how he broke it down to bring even more clarity to his #oneword by using (look-in, look-out and purpose). I used his format to further bring clarity to my #oneword. This reflective process brought my #oneword to life with actions to keep me focused on the right work when things get hectic in our journey.

Look-Out
  • Discipline to confront behavior that does not support our VBO’s and promote our district team culture.
  • Discipline to purposefully prepare intentional plans/steps to meet our stated vision/goals
  • Discipline to focus on developing leadership capacity for those that have established trust within our team. 

Look-In
  • Discipline to take care of myself mentally, physically and spiritually consistently
  • Discipline to be reflective and make necessary adjustments to stay on Path
  • Discipline to build skill in areas of identified weakness and identified strengths
  • Discipline to do what is necessary and right even when it is hard.

Purpose
  • Discipline to live a life committed to being a servant leader
  • Discipline to consistently respond to events with “kids matter more” mentality. 
  • Discipline to maintain a healthy balance in my personal and professional life  so I can be an ELITE leader and teammate.

Special thanks to Dr. John (follow him on twitter @drjcm) for his continued positive leadership and his contributions that helped me write this post. 

Best of luck to each of you as you continue on your journey! I would love to hear your #oneword and hopes for 2017! 

#BEELITE
D. Sayre

1 comment:

  1. Dawn,
    Your word seems a perfect choice for you. I was intrigued by your look-in, look-out strategy. We may have to chat a bit about that. I'm not a bit surprised to find "kids matter more" within your purpose. You seem to live this in word and action. Looking forward to following your journey.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete